Monday, October 29, 2007

We Should Have Won That Game.

When the referee blew for the final whistle that was the thought that immediately sprung to mind was “we should have won that game”. We had the chances and hit the post twice with Fabregas and Bendtner missing gilt edged chances when the goal seemed at their mercy. And it seemed our catalan genius agreed with my frustration at not grabbing all three points but was satisified with the performance nonetheless. Arsenal’s performance was good if not brilliant but I thought Liverpool were a disgrace but after I calmed down a bit I decided they weren’t a disgrace but I wasn’t impressed with them at all. In my earlier post I stated that I don’t consider Liverpool title rivals and their performance yesterday confirmed for me my earlier assertion. They don’t have a strong attack and their defence isn’t that great either even though they only consided one goal against us which in part was due to Eboue, Adebayor and Rosicky having off days and even with that we still managed to dominate them which says a lot about how poor they were.

Benitez going into the game knowing his side had to win to reignite their season started the game with a three pronged attack; Torres in the middle flanked by Kuyt and Voronin. This was an unsually attacking set up by a manager famed for his tactical nous and pragmatism, from my point of view though it was a setup born out of desperation. On paper this looked like causing Arsenal problems but in reality it didn’t. All three of them were toothless and ineffective, Torres below par showing was due to been rushed back from injury and the other two well quite frankly they’re not good enough. Kuyt and Voronin first of all are not wingers, never were and never will be. Second of all the defenders they were up against Sagna and Clichy are brilliant full backs. To get past them you need pace and trickery with guile sprinkled on top,,,,Kuyt and Voronin have has much pace as my good friend butterbean and as much trickery as a Halloween witch. The whole point of that is it was never going to work. The game started out as you predictably expect it would - Liverpool charging down everything like a junkie chasing down crack with Gerrard the chief charger. Within seven minutes they were ahead courtesy of a free kick aided by a poor wall formation. From then on it was total domination with Liverpool employing a 10 man behind the ball tactic. Any manager that thinks they can protect a 1 – 0 lead against Arsenal for 83mins is out of his mind. In the 80th minute we scored a deserved equaliser, Hleb supplied a eye of the needle pass and Fabregas with the poked finish. We could have won the game but Bendtner blazed over when the goal was wide open. Arsene was pleased with the result stating that we are now stronger and he’s looking forward to the Man United game with increased confidence.

I predicted a win for Arsenal by a two goal margin, we didn’t we drawed 1-1 but if we converted just 50% of our chances we would have won by that margin but I was wrong anyway and I accept that. I would like to go into further discussion into the three players I mentioned earlier that had poor games but I am not going to because it would be pointless to at this moment. I consider that two points dropped and hopefully we’ll put things right on Saturday against the red devils.

Thanks for reading your comments always appreciated and tell people about this quite brilliant blog of mine lol. Till next time.

No comments: